- The Oratorio Society of New Jersey was established in 1952.
- Community-based choral group specializing in the performance of choral masterpieces.
- Choral membership has been as high as 100+ per season.
- OSNJ demographics include adults of all ages residing in Northern New Jersey.
- Volunteer-based organization members volunteer time and effort in supportive activities beyond rehearsals.
- Long history of support from the Essex County Division of Cultural Affairs.
- ALL SINGERS WELCOME! New singers — no auditions!
- REHEARSALS for the Fall 2016 concert will be held at First Lutheran Church, 153 Park Street, Montclair, from 8:00 until 10:00 PM every Tuesday evening starting in early September, 2016. Rehearsals during concert week will be held at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, 30 North Fullerton Avenue, Montclair on Tuesday and Friday from 7:00 until 10:00 PM.
- For additional details, email Susan Ladov.
Our Annual Events are performed at venues in western Essex County.
- Fall Concert typically in mid November.
- Spring Concert typically in March/April.
- Holiday Concert Messiah Sing in December.
In its welcoming spirit, OSNJ does not require auditions. However, it is expected that members have some prior singing experience and make a commitment to master the selections. This involves faithful attendance, and rigorous practice during rehearsal time and on their own. Certain rehearsals also offer the opportunity to learn about historical style, voice production, the vocabulary of music, principles of interval and metric organization, and more.
At the same time, OSNJ's musical activity is meant to be joyous, as well as educational. We consider it part of our charge to create a singing experience that is uplifting and inspiring. Whether working or retired, members can look forward to an environment that momentarily sets the tensions of the day aside.
For information about joining, please email Susan Ladov, President.